Welcome to Coldwell Banker – Lightbourn Realty, the first name in Exuma Real Estate and Bahamas Real Estate.
Whether you are searching for waterfront property, a vacation or primary home, private island, resort or commercial development or you are considering listing property for sale or lease, browsing our website will make your search easy, informative and pleasant.
Check our listings of the Exuma Cays, Emerald Bay, Bahama Sound, Grand Isle Resort & Spa, Tar Bay, Hoopers Bay, Stocking Island, George Town, February Point, Bahama Island Beach, Island Harbour Beach and Little Exuma.
At Coldwell Banker-Lightbourn Realty, Exuma is our business.
Every member of our real estate team is professionally licensed and trained in all aspects of Bahamas real estate and will provide you with a timely, knowledgeable and courteous response to all your Exuma real estate needs.
Bahamas Real Estate Buyers Guide
Informational Buyers Guide:
Buying and Owning Bahamas Real Estate,
Moving To and Living in The Bahamas
BAHAMAS PROPERTY OWNERSHIP POLICY
Non-Bahamians who don't own property in the Bahamas and who are buying less than five acres for single family use need only to register their investment with the government. The same principle applies to non-Bahamians buying improved property under 2 acres which is developed as a single family residential property.
Second home owners in the Bahamas may apply to the Immigration director for an annual home owner's resident card. If the director's satisfied that the person is of good character, can support himself and his dependents and so on, he'll issue a card for a fee.
See The International Persons Landholding Act
If a Bahamas property purchase is for other than single family use or is over 2 acres in size, then a GOVERNMENT permit is required.
Lawyers, Surveyors and Architects
The Government Stamp Duty on Property Conveyances
A graduated tax is payable on the conveyance of all real property based on the following value:
• Up to and including $20,000.00 – 4%
• $20,001 to $50,000.00 – 6%
• $50,001 to $100,000.00 – 8%
• $100,001 to $250,000.00 – 10%
• $250,001 and over – 12%
First time Bahamian home owners are exempt from paying stamp duty on homes valued below $500,000.
• The stamp duty is generally shared equally between buyer and seller – unless otherwise agreed upon.
Real Property Tax Rates – Tax Act amended in 2009
The first $250,000 on owner occupied residential property is tax exempt.
• On the value of owner/occupied properties between $250,000 and $500,000, the rate is 3/4 of one percent.• On the portion over $500,000, the tax rate is 1% of the market value of the property.
For unimproved Bahamas property other than that exempt under the provisions of the Real Property Tax Act (section 39):
• Upon that part of the market value that does not exceed $3,000 a fee of $100.00
• Upon that part of the market value which exceeds $3,000 but does not exceed $100,000 a tax rate of 1% per annum of the market value of the Bahamas property.
• Upon that portion above $100,000, the rate is 1.5%.
For any other property, including non-exempted owner-occupied property:
• Upon that part of the market value that does not exceed $500,000 a tax at the rate of 1% per annum of the market value;
• Upon that part of the market value in excess of $500,000 a tax at the rate of 2% of the market value of the Bahamas property.
Bahamas property owned by Bahamians and situated in the Family Islands is exempt from a property duty. Bahamas property approved as commercial farm land (by the Ministers of Agriculture, Trade and Industry and Finance) is eligible for property tax exemptions.
Also exempt from property tax:
• Unimproved Bahamas property owned by Bahamians (in New Providence or the Family Islands), meaning property without physical additions or alterations, or any works benefiting the land which have not increased the market value thereof by $5,000 or more;
• Bahamas property used exclusively for charitable or public service from which no profit is derived.
• All property located in Freeport, Grand Bahama.
These laws and policies are subject to change.
OWNER-OCCUPIED HOME RENTALS
Proprietors of owner-occupied rental homes of one of more bedrooms are required to collect a six percent hotel guest tax from their tenants.
What is an owner-occupied rental home? It's a home that the owner uses exclusively as a dwelling house on a permanent or seasonal basis.
Licences to rent are available through the local Family Island Administrator's Office, or the Hotel Licensing Department of the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism and Aviation in Nassau, Bahamas.
For further information and to download forms, visit tourismtoday.com
Application for Permanent Residency
Major international investors and owners of residences valued at $500,000 receive speedy consideration for annual or permanent residency permits.
Applicants must be of good character, show evidence of financial support and commit in writing they wish to live permanently in the Bahamas. Wives and dependent children (under 18 years) usually resident in a household may be endorsed on the certificate when the original application is made. For details contact:
Bahamas Investment Authority
Visas are not required of citizens of the USA, United Kingdom, or Canada provided their stay does not exceed 3 weeks and that they have a return ticket leaving the Bahamas. Visas are not required of US citizens if stays are less than 8 months. Bahamas Immigration Department permits are needed to reside, work or engage in any business.